Marketers just love to say that their product is the best there’s ever been. If they stand to make money, sure they would. Phenocal, however, just doesn’t stand out, much less deserve the phrase, “the most effective weight loss product that you can get without a prescription.”
What is Phenocal?
Phenocal is both a thermogenic supplement and a caloric restrictor. It is an all natural formulation with herbs, vitamins and patented ingredients designed to reduce your weight when used with its own recommended diet and exercise programs. This supplement is manufactured in an FDA inspected facility and has the certification for adhering to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) standards, so its safety and cleanliness are addressed by these areas.
Its ingredient stack doesn’t have anything which other diet supplements don’t already carry. What it has, however, seems good enough, although some of the ingredients can be had at cheaper prices and at much higher dosages, if bought individually.
What’s In A Pill?
There are quite a number of ingredients packed in one pill of Phenocal, these include:
- Vitamins B1, B2, B5, B6, B7, B9 and B12 – The B vitamins have become quite popular in weight loss supplements as these are marked as energy enhancers. Although there are numerous benefits these vitamins offer, they have not yet been clinically proven to have any real impact on weight loss.
- Chromium Picolinate – A common ingredient in diet pills that is used to regulate blood sugar level and carbohydrate cravings. Studies on its effectiveness on weight loss have been contradictory.
- Eviodamine – This thermogenic ingredient has shown promising results in reducing fat in lab rats. No official studies on humans have yet shown similar results.
- Glucomannan – This is a soluble fiber source that raises the satiety level and therefore acts as an appetite suppressant as well. This ingredient has proven itself well in clinical studies although the administered dosages in the studies were as much as 3,000 mg. per day. A full day’s dose of glucommanan in Phenocal only reaches 800 mg.
- Green Tea Extract – This is a very common stimulant in fat burners and a good inclusion.
- 5 HTP (5-Hydroxyptophan) – An amino acid that suppresses appetite. A full day’s dosage of 200 mg. in Phenocal is, unfortunately, rather way below the level of 900 mg. a day administered in a successful clinical study.
- Garcinia Cambogia PE – This ingredient hasn’t really proven its worth as a carb blocker.
- Fucoxanthin – A carotenoid present in wakame or brown seaweed which has shown to reduce abdominal fat in mice. Evidence of the same effects have yet to be established with people.
- Cocoa Extract – When you’re feeling down because of carbohydrate restrictions, this could kick up serotonin levels to get you in a more positive mood all throughout your weight loss program.
- Bioperin® – A patented substance that allows the body to efficiently absorb the supplement’s ingredients.
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) – Its thermogenic properties have only been proven with lab mice, not yet with humans.
- Hoodia –The only hoodia plant species that actually has appetite controlling properties is Hoodia Gordonnii. We doubt Phenocal contains any Hoodia Gordonii as this requires a C.I.T.E.S. certificate and analytical report from the Western Cape Conservation Authority of South Africa for its licensed exportation. If there is Hoodia in Phenocal, it isn’t of the Gordonii species and therefore is next to useless for effective appetite suppression.
The Bottom Line
A lot of these ingredients haven’t been clinically proven except with lab animals; so, Phenocal’s potency is iffy. But if other supplements with more or less the same ingredient lineup works, this may work as well. You may as well give this a try if you’ve got U$ 50.00 to burn.
Another problem is that there’s just too many ingredients packed in one pill. This means the dosages at which some promising ingredients could have worked is seriously cut down to make way for the addition of other ingredients. So although this supplement looks like it’s got a lot going for it, the lot just has too much diminished power to make a real difference. The manufacturers should just have picked out a few good ones with their proven dosages to make Phenocal a darn good pill.
Weight Comment’s Rating: 3 / 5
Perhaps not a bad pill but not a great one either.